Friday, September 19, 2008

"Bring Out Yer Dead!"

Yesterday we went to a U-Pick farm to scavenge the tail-end of Peach Season. While we were there, the owner let us wander around the barn. Woo-eee! They had pigs. Lots of pigs. Luckily, I was holding Sydney in a blanket, which corner of blanket I immediately requisitioned for a face mask. Sydney and Talmage did not complain about the stench - which makes me wonder about children's olefactorial development. I, personally, wanted to keel over dead. And, as it turns out, I wasn't alone in that sentiment.

Besides the pigs (including a sow with cute, cute, cute piglets), we saw lots of chickens and rabbits. I should also mention that this barn (and the farm in general) was filthy. I get that it would be tricky to keep pig cages clean. But the chicken and rabbit pens? I mean, they were GROSS. In one cage, the newly hatched chicks were huddled under the heat lamp. Who can resist baby chicks? We peered in for a closer look. That's when I noticed one of the baby chicks was dead. It, too, was directly under the heat lamp - so all the other chicks were standing on top of it. Sadness. We turned to leave and that's when I noticed another chicken, an older one, in the dark corner by the doorway. Also dead.

We passed the owner on the way out and I casually mentioned the two dead chickens. Her reply? "Oh! I haven't gotten to my morning chores yet."

No comments: