Friday, October 24, 2008

Closets: The Source for all Things Halloween

It was a dark and moist night ...

... time to start making our Halloween costumes. The Bowden Halloween Party is not a party to be trifled with. As it says on the evite: "From The Book of Bowden Halloween Costume Party Law, we read the following:

1) Costumes are required. Period. "

Six other official rules follow. We take this party very seriously. As seriously as you can when the your main costuming material derives from your closets.

Over the past four years, we've been refining our costume criteria based on trial and error.

2005:
ICE PRINCESS AND HER THRONE

Lessons Learned:
1) Do not spend exorbitant amounts of money on material, even if it is pink, shiny, and furry. You'll end up with mounds of pink, shiny, furry material to store after Halloween is over. Plus, it's HOT. The costume is inevitably discarded by round two of the Cake Walk.

2) Avoid Costumes that are so awkward they require a stool strapped to your bum underneath the costume.

2006:THREE PEAS IN A POD (not a boat)
LESSONS LEARNED:
1) Costumes requiring three people to remain strapped together come apart about five minutes after entering the Party. Especially if one of the Peas is a baby in a bjorn.
2) Leave Petite Peas at home.

2007:Chopsticks in Wrapper and Take-Out Box o' Rice
LESSONS LEARNED:
1) Pay attention to box dimensions. Hallway and crowded-room-navigational-abilities severely limited.
2) Where is my Chinese dictionary???
2008:Can You Guess What We Is?

We're getting the hang of it, here. We were not stuck together (a la 2006), unless someone wondered why Briton was a zipper. My box was smaller (a la 2007). Except for yellow paint, this costume was free (a la 2005). Given the Bowden's throw a Sixth Annual, my goal is not to be in a box. Think outside the box. Think "Win the Cake Walk."

Essay Questions (optional)
What are you going to be for Halloween?
What is your most memorable Halloween?

3 comments:

Paula said...

Thanks for posting your Halloween History and Phunny Photos. You two have really gotten into the spirit of things and are sooooo creative. Have a great time at the party and good luck on the Cake Walk. (Isn't there something about "Operation" or am I confused with something else?) I think we know "what you is" this year...we'll email our guess, so as not to spoil the fun for others. Anyway, it's a great idea and I love the detail on the button and seriousness and science of the "under construction" photo.

Essay #1: For Halloween I'm going to be: trying not to sample the chocolate candy bars I'm giving out to the darling costumed Day Care Kids that come parading through my office!

Essay #2: I love Halloween and many are memorable. Costumes played a big part. My Dad was the creative (sometimes seamstress--seamster?) one in our family and made costumes for us and himself and Mom that were prize winners. I particularly remember their robots. I loved the many years dressing up as a green-faced witch and making costumes for my kids and going Trick-or-Treating with them. Laur always had to stay home and hand out goodies. One of my favorite years was the time the whole family presented a Spooky Story (in costume, with props, etc.) in a darkened classroom at Farmington Elementary at their Halloween Carnival. (Briton was the Grim Reaper). We've almost always had chili and scones to eat on Halloween and carving creative Jack O 'Lanterns (some years from our garden-grown pumpkins) was a great tradition. And don't forget the frightful sound effects cassette and the giant Pumpkin Man. One memorable Halloween was the year my parents hosted a costume party for me and my 6th grade friends complete with decorations and Sloppy Joes and games. Perhaps the most memorable Halloween was the year, shortly after moving to Farmington, that Laur and I hosted an Elder's Quorum costume party (I was a lion, he was a tamer) in our unfinished basement. The decorations (we stapled computer paper with Halloween scenes on to the unfinished 2x4s...ceiling to floor), GREAT costumes and everybody dancing to classic rock and disco will never be forgotten! HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

The Homely Animal said...

1. Scott & I are Goths and the kids are Harry Potter, Ron Weasley, last minute princess, and a chili pepper.

Is it butterfly?
Very fun ideas.

brenda said...

I can't see what's above the butter...I give up, what is it?