Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Mad Libs on Our Lips

Talmage and I have discovered the magic of making up stories. Before naps and bedtime, we lie down, side-by-side in his bed and by the soft-yellow light from the wall-mounted moon, we spin our tale. This is a very magical moment. Nothing fancy with the actual story; but the emotional closeness, at least to me, is palpable. I pause at various junctures in the story and he supplies the noun, destination, etc. One of our first stories went like this:

Me: Once upon a time, there was a ...
T: race car.
Me: The car was driving down the road and met all his friends, like ...
T: Sally-car, Lightning McQueen, the Digger and Dumptruck.
Me: And they asked the race car where he was going. The race car said, I am going to ...
T: the Playground.
Me: The Playground. And did you know, the playground was on the moon? It was! "Can we come, too?" asked his friends. "Sure," said the race car. Come in my rocketship. etc.

The words swirl around us and spin their own webs in our heads as we both get droopy-eyed.

Yesterday, upon him waking from his afternoon nap:
Me: Did you sleep like a rock?
T: I slept like a rocketship.

Ah. Magic.

3 comments:

hkartch said...

Need better letters for SWIRL

Anonymous said...

I really didn't think Talmage could get any cuter than he already was but there he goes. Youre kids are adorable! Can we come visit them (and you) again sometime soon??

Heidi said...

Awesome post. Well done.