We celebrated our 8th anniversary at the thematically correct Cape Perpetua.
The little Nubbin' came with us - so it wasn't too crazy. The above short nature walk sported beautiful views and we took turns exploring the rocks.
Spent some time in the visitor's center - on pretense that we wanted to put together the puzzle, but mostly to avoid the rain (it hailed during one jaunt). It wasn't busy so the
Park Service people let me nurse Miles while we had our own private
showing about the grey whale migration. I learned that mama whale milk
is 53% fat (heavy whipping cream is 36-40%) and baby whales drink 50
gallons a day. This was disconcerting information to hear whilst nursing - especially post-seafood slumgullion (100% cream and cheese), halibut and chips, and crab-cream-garlic soup.
The hotel we stayed at was very fancy -- they even had flowers for us, in commemoration (they do that for all the guests ;). There was a spa with free use of their pools/locker room. We had to take turns soaking in the warmth -- they weren't keen on a baby "wailing" and breaking up the "peaceful, transcendent atmosphere."
Baby or no, I would go back to this hotel because of the locker room. One table was dedicated to sliced cucumbers on ice. A little note explained the health benefits of cucumbers as well as their restorative properties. You could also help yourself to some ice water and float a cucumber in it. I took two slices, as directed, and placed them just so over my eyes while I lounged in the sauna, like this. I tried my hard-edest to be zen about it but mostly felt silly. Another table suggested different smelly lotions to use as you pleased. I pleased all of them. The showerhead was the size of a frisbee. The flooring had raised, smooth pebbles so your feet were massaged while your head was massaged from the shower. Oh! And also, you know how hotels give complementary soaps and shampoos in your room and you're always scheming how you can steal more off of the maid cart? Well!!! In this shower, there is a HUGE bottle of the Aveda shampoo and conditioner -- and it's all tingly and rosemary-minty. I took three showers one day. That spa was wonderful. And I haven't even told you about the plentiful piles of fluffy, white towels yet.
And then, finally, it took eight years, but Briton beat me at Scrabble. OK. He SMOKED me at Scrabble. Score = 440. Lucky for me, there's eternity for a rematch.
1 comment:
WOW, 8 years have gone by fast, but most amazing is that you are a family of 6!! Sounds like a great place to celebrate, looks pretty chilly though. I was envious of the the 3 showers. Whale milk, "Not to 50!!!" Scrabble..."used to be intellectuals, before we had children." Peek-a-boo Miles!
Post a Comment